- Library Services
- Books & More
- Contact Us
Due to a power outage in the area, the Library will be closed today, Monday, July 28th. Regular business hours are expected to resume Tuesday, July 29th, based on expected restoration of power to the area.
Follow Your Dream
Have you ever dreamed of selling everything and going off on a grand adventure? Or thought how exciting it would be to take off and explore the country? Here are some stories to enjoy of real people who took a chance and decided to follow their dream.
- Eat Pray Love Gilbert, Elizabeth 910.4 GILB Gilbert decides to take a year and travel to Italy, India and Indonesia in an effort to figure out what she truly wants in life.
- Granny D: Walking Across America in my Ninetieth Year Haddock, Doris 917.304 H It took 14 months and she covered 3,200 miles but 90 year old Doris Haddock completed her goal of walking across America on February 29, 2000.
- Julie and Julia Powell, Julie 641.5 P Julie Powell decides to add some excitement to her life by recreating all 524 recipes from Julia Child's "Mastering the Art of French Cooking" over the course of one year.
- The Know-It-All: One Man's Humble Quest to Become the Smartest Man in the World Jacobs, A.J. 031 J Determined to read all 32 volumes of the Encyclopedia Britannica, Jacobs writes about the unexpected and funny effects 'Operation Encyclopedia' has on his life.
- Postcards from France Libby, Megan 944.98 L Libby, a high school junior, spent a year in France as an exchange student. Her many adventures, from recreating a Thanksgiving dinner with no turkey on hand, only deer to learning to accept that French dogs are allowed at the dinner table, is recaptured through a series of postcards she sent home.
- Queen of the Road Orion, Doreen 917.304 ORIO Dubbing herself a Long Island princess, Orion sets off with her husband, dog and two cats in a 340 square foot bus to travel cross-country for a year.
- Reading Lolita in Tehran Nafisi, Azar 820.9 N Nafisi gathered a group of young women who formed a book club to read and talk about Western literature, an act strictly forbidden in Iran.
- Traveling with Pomegranates Kidd, Sue Monk BIO KIDD Kidd and her daughter Ann traveled throughout Greece and France between 1998 and 2000 in an effort to redefine themselves and rediscover each other.
- Under the Tuscan Sun Mayes, Frances 945.5 M Mayes sets out to find a summer home in Tuscany and ends up purchasing a 17 room villa that has been empty for 30 years. In the process of renewing her home she also renews her spirit.
- A Walk in the Woods Bryson, Bill 917.404 BRYS A humorous look at Bryson and a friend who were determined to hike the entire 2,100 miles of the Appalachian Trail. They set off from George but things didn't go quite as planned and after arrivingin Gatlinburg, TN they decided to head to the Blue Ridge Mountains of Virginia by car. Their plan was to hike the Hundred Mile Wildernessin Maine, the end of the trail, but even this bit of hiking wasn't without its complications.
- The Year of Living Bibically Jacobs, A.J. 220 JACO What would it be like to live a whole year obeying the Bible as literally as possible? Jacobs sets out to do just that, from following the Ten Commandments to the hundreds of less publicized rules such as playing a ten string harp and not wearing clothing made from mixed fibres. The end result is part memoir, part Cliffs Notes to the Bible but entirely charming.