GEORGE M. RICHMOND

GEORGE M. RICHMOND, one of the prominent general farmers of Waterford township, Oakland County, was born in that township, September 23, 1840, and has always resided there, with the exception of the three years he devoted to the service of his country during the Civil War. He is a son of Edward and Caroline (Westcott) Richmond, and a grandson of Edward Richmond, Sr., who was a very large farmer and dairyman of Vermont. Edward Richmond, our subject's father, was born near North Orwell, Addison County, Vermont, in 1816, and came to Michigan in the spring of 1840, settling in section 14, Waterford township, Oakland County, where he took up 80 acres of land. This property he cleared and in later years he traded it for 120 acres, on which he built the Richmond Hotel, on the Clinton River. The first family home on the property in section 14 was a log cabin, which was later replaced by a frame house. The country was unsettled at that time and it was no unusual thing to see bears and wild game of all kinds near their dwelling. Edward Richmond died in 1854, at the age of 38 years. Before coming to this State, he followed the trade of a cooper to some extent, in Vermont and in Monroe County, New York, where he lived for a time. He was a Democrat and an adherent of the Universalist Church. He was married to Caroline Westcott, who was born in Maine, and they reared a family of 12 children, six of whom still survive, as follows: Lorain L.; Aaron B., of Waterford township, Oakland County; George M., our subject; Marion, of Saginaw County, Michigan; and Edward and Edgar (twins), both managers for large lumber estates in Saginaw County. George M. Richmond was reared in Waterford township and was 22 years of age when in August of the second year of the Civil War he enlisted in Company A, 5th Reg., Michigan Vol. Cav., under Capt. W. W. Gordy and Colonel Copeland, which regiment was assigned to the Army of the Potomac. Mr. Richmond saw much hard service and participated in these decisive battles: Hagerstown; Vermilion Station; Yellow Tavern; Gettysburg; Boonesboro; first battle of Bull Run; Todd's Tavern; Monterey; Falling Wagers; Snicker's Gap; Hastings; Manassas; Germania Ford, and many minor skirmishes where his life and liberty were endangered. He was seriously wounded at the battle of Yellow Tavern and was sent for six weeks to the Point Lookout Hospital. He received a furlough of 30 days and was then transferred to St. Mary's Hospital at Detroit, and then to the Harper Hospital. He was honorably discharged after his three years of service. After the close of the war, Mr. Richmond resumed farming and has always operated with success. He has been particularly successful in the raising of thoroughbred cattle, always having about a dozen head on hand, and has exhibited a number of times at the county fair, where he has also made a good showing of fine horses. Mr. Richmond is independent politically. Fraternally he belongs to Dick Richardson Post, Grand Army of the Republic, at Pontiac. Lorain L. Richmond, our subject's brother, who is one of the leading farmers of Waterford township, was born in Riga, Monroe County, New York, December 31, 1837. He has lived on the farm his father took up in Waterford township ever since the age of two years, and has always followed farming. He has also done an extensive business in the buying, feeding and selling of stock. He has raised many Jersey cattle and has a fine herd at present; in 1892 he took $43 in premiums at the Pontiac Fair. His farm consists of 195 acres in section 16, Waterford township. He was married to Elizabeth Bentley, who was born in Calhoun County, Michigan, and was a daughter of James Bentley. Their one child, Charles H., is under sheriff of Oakland County, and resides at Pontiac; he was married to Jennie Bailey, and they have four children: Daisy, Minnie, Helen and Lorain. Mr. Richmond is a Democrat and has actively given support to the men and measures of his party. He has been a justice of the peace, township treasurer, and also highway commissioner. His son, Charles H., has held every township office except those of treasurer and constable, belongs to the Grange, and is president of the Farmers' Club.

Waterford Biographies