C. H. LINABURY, justice of the peace at Pontiac, Michigan, was born at the old Drayton Plains Hotel, in Waterford township, at Drayton Plains, Oakland County, Michigan, in 1873, and is a son of the late Joseph and Elizabeth C. (Anderson) Linabury, the former of whom was born in New Jersey and the latter in New York.
Joseph H. Linabury, who died in August, 1896, aged 88 years, was born at Hackettstown, New Jersey, and came to Michigan in 1836, accompanied by his father, George Linabury. The latter returned to New Jersey in 1838 and died there in 1883. Joseph H. Linabury was a miller by trade and he was employed for a time by a Mr. Howard who operated the Yellow Mill at Pontiac. His home was a farm in Independence township and his son can recall his stories of the dangers he encountered from wolves when he walked through the woods to his home on Saturday nights after the work of the week. Several of his brothers were also residents and business men of Oakland County; Henry, who died some 12 years ago, was a well known merchant of Pontiac and Drayton Plains, and Isaac, also deceased, was a miller residing near Birmingham. Joseph H. Linabury was a Democrat in political views and he served many years as a justice of the peace in Independence township and at Drayton Plains.
The mother of our subject was born in 1836 at Elmira, New York, and now resides at Pontiac. Her father, Alexander Anderson, came to Bloomfield township, Oakland County, Michigan, when she was young. He was a farmer and surveyor, having followed the latter business in New York and in Mexico, engaged for the government. He died in Oakland County, about 1871. Some members of Mrs. Linabury's family reside in St. Joseph County, Michigan. The immediate family of our subject includes three brothers and one sister, and four half-brothers and one half-sister, viz: Joseph A., who has been clerk at the Hodges House, Pontiac, for the past 12 years; George M., who is a farmer in Waterford township and a Pontiac traveling man; William A., who conducts a meat business on Saginaw street, Pontiac; Lena, who is a dressmaker engaged in Detroit; Martin V., who is in the carriage business at Jackson, Michigan; Clark C., who conducts the Superior House at Lapeer; Daniel, who is in the drilling business at Pontiac; Elwood, a farmer of Metamora, Michigan; and Mary Ann (Mrs. Jewell), of Cornwall, Michigan.
Mr. Linabury was educated in the public schools and in a business college at Pontiac. From 1882 to 1888 he resided at Colon and Coldwater, Michigan, but in 1892 graduated at the Pontiac Business College, following which he was elected city clerk. He served as such four years and in April, 1899, was elected justice of the peace and was re-elected to the same office in 1903. Prior to this he had been engaged successively as clerk in a hardware store at Elk, Genesee County, for a year, then for five years clerk at the Rose Hotel, Pontiac, and in the meantime was connected with several important business enterprises. In association with his brother, J. A. Linabury, and Walter A. Palmer, he assisted in founding the Palmer Carriage Supply Company and served as secretary and treasurer. He was also secretary and treasurer of the Pontiac Leather Specialty Company, which in 1903 was purchased by Van Kleet & Son. the business was carriage furnishings and leather specialties. With Harry H. Free, Mr. Linabury has secured a patent on a self-wringing mop, which will soon be on the market and manufactured in Pontiac.
Mr. Linabury resides in a pleasant home at No. 345 West Huron street, Pontiac, which he shares with his mother.
Politically he is identified with the Democratic party. Fraternally he has membership with the Elks, Knights of Pythias, D. O. K. K., and Foresters of America. Mr. Linabury is justly regarded as one of the leading and representative citizens of Pontiac and he enjoys the respect and esteem of the community which has known him from boyhood.